Remember, our August meeting is at Florida Craft Art, Central Avenue and 5th Street N, St. Petersburg. August 10 at 6:30.
I hope you all got a chance to read the email I sent out last week. We have had so many additions to our meetings, I thought you might like the information. I also wrote about proper etiquette between our members and at meetings.
I am very thankful to the Board and all the Committee Chairs who have worked so hard to make this such a successful year. Our meetings are packed. The Mini-Demos and Show and Tell have been very inspirational, the Dunedin Show is wonderful, the Workshops have been educational and fun, the Newsletter is out on time and I could not ask any more of anyone.
Thank you all for your hard work and participation. If anyone has anything else they would like to see added to the meetings, please let me know. The Board is open to any new ideas.
Annie Wade, Bohemie Annie, is now our Show Chairman. Thanks to Sarah Butz for all of your successful years of Service handling this job for the Guild.
- We will need 2 people both days to staff the pick up of our member show on Monday-Tuesday, August 17-18 from 10am to 1pm. If you can volunteer to do this please let Sara Butz know at the meeting in August 10 at FLORIDA CRAFTART.
- We are looking for someone to MC and coordinate the Fashion Show at our October Meeting. Start making your fabulous Art to Wear now to make this our most successful show ever.
- We are also searching for a nominating committee for officers and committee chairs for next year. If you are interested in getting more involved, please see Cindie for possible positions.
- Llani O’Connor left a large cotton purple and black fringed scarf on June Colburn’s table at the last meeting. If you have it or know where it is, please contact her at (312) 952-9379.
- Dana Maley left a small box with 2 prototype Holiday Ornaments at the last meeting. They were made with recycled gift cards. If anyone has it, please let her know.
- Please keep bringing art related books and magazines for the monthly book sale. Books sell for one dollar and magazines are 50 cents. This is a good way to increase our treasury if you're willing to donate your unwanted books to the Guild.
- Any member wishing to sell their artwork or art supplies; the table fee is $5. The room opens at 5:30 and the meeting starts at 6:30. The meeting ends at 8:30 and we must be out by 9:00
Kim Sherrod has been kind enough to start and run a Video Library for us, starting in September. We would like any member wishing to donate any art related video, especially instructional, to please bring them to the August meeting at Florida Craft Art. Details of the library are being worked out.
Please bring your prototype of your Holiday Ornament to the August 10 meeting at Florida CraftArt. Angelea Carpenter is photographing the ornaments for Jurying for the Holiday Trees at the Dunedin Art Center. This is a fund raiser for the Guild. We keep 60% of all sales. The plan is to make 12 of each ornament chosen. We will have a Playday in September to assemble them, TBA. We hope to also be able to jury some into the Florida CraftArt holiday sale.
Mini-DemosThe following images are from the July meeting mini demo's.
Show and Tell
This is a message from our new Show Chair, annie!
As you may already know, Clearwater Library has requested that we exhibit our art again! Sarah Butz took care of the preliminary work for this display but is stepping down as Exhibits Chairman…and I've stepped up…along with several other members who have plenty of experience and talent in putting on a great show. I'm thankful for each one of you who is giving your time and energy to work on this committee.A group of us met at Sarah's house last week to talk about the nitty gritty details and we came up with a terrific theme for the Clearwater Library show. We began by talking about Clearwater's celebration of 100 years and thought about a topic that would bring in the history of the area…but didn't want to limit it to just Clearwater so through a little brainstorming, we came to a satisfying decision.This will be a juried show with an entry fee of $25 and each member can submit two pieces of art. Work will be due on Saturday, January 2, 2k16 - juried that weekend and hung on Monday, January 4th. The exhibit will run through Friday, February 26th. More details will be given as soon as I know them.Our theme is totally open to your interpretation of…and I can't wait to see how you portray… Paradise Found
Member Show Ends:Our Members Show at the Dunedin Fine Art Center will end on Sunday, August 16. You must pick up our work at DFAC on Monday, August 17 and Tuesday, August 18 from 10 - 1.
Susan Lumsden sent in the following good news:
My quilt "Slipstream Adventure" took second place in a national juried all media show in El Dorado, Arkansas. The juror, Dr. Stanton Thomas from the Brooks Museum of Art in Memphis is knowledgeable about European Decorative Arts. There was a cash prize which I spent on water color supplies. This is my second national award. This piece is 144" wide x 84" in 4 panels. It is $19,000. (Editorial note: OMG!!!) Here it is.
August mini demo (Monday Aug 10): Marlene Glickman--foil onto fabric and paper
August 16…bohemiannie! bag, with Annie Wade
10am to 5pm at Indian Rocks Beach Art Center. The cost is $ 35.00. You will be making a one-of-a-kind bag that can be used as a purse, tote, carry-on, diaper bag, overnight bag, etc, etc, out of fabrics that you surface design at home. (Or not). We will begin by machine quilting your fabric and then construct it to tailor fit your size, style and/or needs. You will then embellish your bag with jewelry, buttons, baubles, bangles or beads. This is an awesome piece of wearable art!
The supply list will be provided along with the bohemiannie! bag pattern once you sign up and pay for the workshop. This workshop will take all day...so please come at 10am and plan to stay until 5pm. Don't forget your lunch! If you want to, we can do a pot luck and eat whatever shows up.
Time for this two day workshop is TBD. Location is IRBAC cost is $ 60.00.
Saturday & Sunday, Sept. 19 & 20 Eco Printed Books, with Kim Sherrod & Margaret Hillman
ECO Print Workshop Video
If you missed the in person workshop with Kathy Hays on Eco Print, not to worry. Kathy has made a 2 hour streamed video called Eco Print Workshop. This is all the information she teaches in a one day work shop and much more. She takes you through the entire process from equipment to fabrics to solutions to several bundling methods. You can watch your streamed video workshop anytime of the day or night. You sign up, you sign on and watch as many times as you like. There is no expiration. visit http://www.kathyhaysdesigns.com So if you have wanted to know how to Eco Print, or get better results with your Eco Printing, this is a video workshop for you!
Kathleen Fulmer will be offering an encaustic and fiber ( paper and fabric) workshop on August 15, 2015 and again on October 10, 2015. The workshop will be from 10 - 4 and will cost $45.00. It will include all supplies. You will learn:
- how to prepare an encaustic board
- how to use your paper/fabric designs in your encaustic work
- how to use a heat gun and iron to fuse the encaustic medium
- several embellishment techniques
The workshop will be held at her home. For more information or if you are interested in taking either workshops, please call or email her. Space is limited to 5 people for each workshop. email@example.com 727-776-6104
Marlene Glickman sent in the following links for us all to explore.
- Silk Painters International http://www.silkpainters.org/ (wonderful slide show of a variety of silk paintings) Also, their Festival will be held at Arrowmont in October 2016.
- Theresa Brown Portraits http://www.portraitsnc.com/galleries.html (horses, dogs, people and houses)
- Vicki Bennett http://tangledupinwool.com/index.html (check out her website and blog for images of her work which I love, especially the clothing and 3D pieces and her gray/white rocks)
- Joyce Estes http://www.joyceestes.com/ (look at her silk as well as worship banners she has done in super large sizes) Joyce also has the Sea Oats Art Gallery in Northwestern Florida on the coast http://www.forgottencoastart.com/the-artists.html
- Lyric Kinard. Her newsletter is great to read, wonderful quotes, shows to enter, tutorials, etc., Artist, Author, and educator, can be found at www.LyricKinard.com
TBSDG Meeting Minutes 7/13/15
Welcome Cynthia Townley opened the meeting at 6:30pm
Introduction of New Members and Guests:
Nancy Pitola, Jane Barthel, Shelly Wells, Margaret Hillman
Workshops: Dana Maley
July 19, 2015 Kathleen Fulmer -Encaustics -Indian Rocks Beach Art Center 1-4pm $45.
Aug. 16, 2015 Annie! Wade-Bohemiannie Bags-Indian Rocks Beach Art Center 10-5pm $35 Sept. 19 & 20, 2015 Kim Sherrod and Margaret Hillman Printed Coptic stitch Eco Books Location and time?
Treasury Report and Membership: Ann Thomas
Bank Balance $2466.53 Membership: 80 members
Holiday Fundraiser: Angelea Carpenter Showed examples of Holiday ornaments for Dunedin Fine Art Center Holiday Show and requested prototypes be brought in at next month's meeting. Day for Guild members to get together for ornament making TBD.
Shows: Sarah Butz
Cynthia spoke for Sarah and announced that Sarah needs an apprentice for the next show at the Clearwater Library in January of 2016.
Linda Dawson: Stitching on Air.
Sharon Appler: Embossing and Coloring Adhesive Metal Duct Tape
Show and Tell:
LeeAnn's workshop results: wet felting wall hangings
Rhonda Kuntz: charm necklace, doll making
Annie Wade: Daisy Kingdom apron from Refashion Renegades meeting at Jays
Sharon Appler: resist elephant leaf maxi dress
Peggy (last name): silk beads and earrings, hand painted bracelets
Pat Rice: took Marlene's class, brought scarves
Jean Barthel: quilt wall hangings, dyed with tea, attachable dolls/pins/jewelry/buttons
Etta Jewel: cat quilt
Kathy Hayes: "Midnite Moves" Nuno felting blue tunic, silk wrap medallion motif w/underskirt of Uzbec silk from Turkey, blue felt bag, eco printed felted wrap, eco printed handbag felted
Conception Tharin: 2 tops woven and small white woven dress
Kim Sherrod is going to do a DVD library for us!
June Colburn Sunday Sept. 20th, Sarasota Guild Class
Guild business cards free for the taking
Adjourn: meeting adjourned at 8:24pm